SC Countywide emergency radio communications test on Sat, Apr 29th at 10:15 am

In order to prepare for disasters, NRG Firewise is participating in the countywide ham radio (ARES), medical aid (CERT), and Firewise (MURS) communication test on Saturday, April 29th, 2023.

All Micro Community leaders are encouraged to get their neighbors to participate in this drill. Order your MURS radios and ask Keith or Eric to program them for NRG and other emergency channels.

Here is the plan for Saturday, Apr 29th:
10:00 am:
Keith, Eric, and I will be using our ham radios to get instructions from OR3 and other agencies on Saturday morning at 10:00 am. We’ll discuss the plan for this emergency test.

10:15 am
We will meet you all on our NRG channel using our MURS radios to give you instructions to gather information. At this time, we don’t know what they’ll be asking us to do so be prepared to observe something and report back to us via MURS radios.

11:00 am
Eric, Keith, and I will analyze the data collected and report back to ARES (hams) with our findings. ARES will work with CERT and MURS groups throughout Santa Cruz County to assess our communication networks.

We hope that all 300+ residents on NRG participate in this massive communication test. I’m sure we’ll learn valuable information about the Micro Communities that participate.

**If you are a CERT, please let me know if you would like to set up a CERT exercise for NRG during this event. It would be nice to see how we can work together to help people until EMS arrives.

Thank you, Susan