Concrete fire rated siding

Instead of painting with fire retardant paint, we are installing fire rated concrete boards over our wood siding. They look like wood. We are starting with our home and will eventually do all our buildings. The material is cheaper than wood and should make our home much more fire-safe! We have also started putting in Vulcan fireproof vents.

The Tyvek is a waterproof paper we have put over our old wood siding and under the concrete boards. We will paint the boards when we finish. The sideways boards are the concrete boards. The vertical, up above in some of the photos, are our old siding. (pertain to photos I don’t know if I can post). Just know that they look great.

This seems a better solution than the fire retardant paint, which must be renewed every year.
Eventually I will also do the deck, but if it burns the walls should at least protect the house.

This concrete board can also be painted and is available at San Lorenzo Lumber. We used James Hardy plank siding hz 10. They do delivery.

1 Like

Great idea! I might see if my contractor would use concrete boards instead of flashing to cover the plywood around some of my decks.

1 Like