Fire retardant products

Paints and sprays are available to protect flammable parts of your property. Here is a spray that some of us have seen demonstrated:

According to the Komodo website:

Each mixed gallon of KOMODO fire protection solution will cover approximately 100-200 sq. ft. of area, structures, and vegetation.

For folks like me, who have little skill at this kind of thing (that’s putting it mildly) Komodo can send one of their people to do the application so you can know it’s done correctly. We have someone coming out soon to give us an estimate. I’m inquiring whether it can be applied to the tops of our water tanks.

Tell us how it goes, please, Deo. Maybe some of us could get a group rate. This stuff is kind of pricey.

Interesting idea, applying it to the tops of water tanks. I had already bought a roll of giant-sequoia-protecting aluminum foil to wrap our tanks.

I would request their CalFire or any other standards testing certificates. The website uses a number of logos (NFPA, UL, Intertek) that raise red flags for me.

We just had Jack Kimmich (831) 320-8707 from Komodo out here to evaluate our property for Komodo treatment. He is super experienced around fire, has bulldozed and sprayed on the front lines and explained how we might expect fire to approach our property. I also picked his brain about shelter-in-place and got some excellent tips. Tony Akin recommended Komodo to us (some of you saw it demonstrated) and after researching it and speaking with Jack we are gonna have them spray key areas on our property and structures. It seems like the real deal, and though there are no guarantees, I know it’s gonna help me not freak out so much as each fire season approaches. The visit is free, and definitely worth the time to have Jack’s eyes on your property. Learned this: Limbing and clearing brush can help prevent a crown fire; but as fire approaches the intense heat dries out the brush and tree tops in its path and makes them susceptible to igniting from embers and sparks. Komodo can spray (they use fire hoses) pretty high up into the trees to help prevent this.