Ready to join us with your MURS radios?

We’re going to have our first MURS radio test on Saturday, Dec 11th between 10:00-11:00 am. The goal is to make sure that every micro community can get emergency information during and after a wildfire or earthquake when we won’t have electricity or connection to cell towers.

Please RSVP to our MURS Radio Test date of Dec 11th by Dec 5th. We need at least one person per micro community to make this work. We’ll be creating a relay so that every person in our 361-person NRG community will be in the loop during a disaster.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. Who’s invited?
    All micro community leaders and any interested person in the NRG Firewise community.

2. When?
    Saturday, Dec 11th between 10:00-11:00 am.

3. Where?
    At YOUR house! Easy peasy! We’re testing to see how your MURS radios connect with mine.

4. What radio and antenna to get?
    Dakota Alert Desk MURS Radio
    This will be plugged in and turned on 24/7 so you will hear emergency messages.
    Dakota Alert M538-BS MURS Base Station - Multi Use Radio Service Transceiver with Telescopic Antenna and Normally Open Relay Output (amazon.com $74.99)

MURS Antenna for desk base station
The antenna improves the range that you can communicate. I love mine, but it isn’t required.
Ed Fong makes antennas for the MURS desk base station radio. He includes the 5’ PVC pipe (needs to be class 200) and the adapter.
(email Ed at edsantennas@gmail.com $42.50 plus shipping)
You’ll also need a RG8x coax cable (the distance from the radio to the roof) to connect the MURS desk base station to the antenna on your roof
(email Ed at edsantennas@gmail.com .60 cents/foot and $5 for connectors plus shipping)

Dakota Alert Handheld MURS Radio
This will be what you use outside, in your car and on the road. If you get just one MURS radio, get this one.
Dakota Alert M538-HT MURS Wireless VHF Transceiver - Handheld 2-Way Radio License Free - Multi Use Radio Service (amazon.com $84.99)

MURS Antenna for handheld MURS radio
If you get both the desk base station and the handheld radios, you don’t need this extra antenna. I recommend that people who only purchase the handheld radios get this antenna so it improves their range.
Ed Fong makes antennas for the MURS handheld radio. He includes the 5’ PVC pipe (needs to be class 200) and the adapter. Use the antenna while you’re in the house, but while outside or driving around, use the short antenna that comes with the radio.
(email Ed at edsantennas@gmail.com $44.50 plus shipping)
Coax cable (email Ed at edsantennas@gmail.com .60 cents/foot and $5 for connectors plus shipping)

Thanks to Mari Bennadja and Ellie for helping me map out how our Dakota MURS radios communicate on Ponza Lane, and thanks to Deo Robbins for mapping out all of the Bronco/Amigo/Felicidad/Mt Messiah Roads. With my new MURS antenna, I can reach everyone on those roads! Thanks to Melody and Pat Meyer, Daren Commons, and Eric and Tameh Swenson for helping me do the initial MURS radio tests without the antenna.

I went to the 5-hour SC FireSAFE meeting on Friday, and the big take-away message was: Build your communication foundation BEFORE a wildfire!

WE ARE SO CLOSE TO BECOMING A REAL SAFE FIREWISE COMMUNITY!

We can do this!
Susan

Susan, Hidden Valley Rd is pretty long, with variations in topography, so it would be good to have participation from the top, the middle, the bottom, and the ends of the side roads. I’m near the bottom and we’ve already established that I can hear you. I and perhaps one or both of my housemates can participate on Dec. 11.

That would be ideal! I do believe we may need a relay setup on HVR. Glad we can communicate clearly!

We recently bought a pair of the handsets. Are you going to be sending out instructions for the test such a which channels and sub channels will be used?

Thanks,
Jerome

Everyone should be aware that to operate a base station radio requires power, so this is just another justification for a generator or battery back-up for your home. A handheld radio does not need power, but is more limited in reach.

For the (written) record, I participated in a MURS radio test with Susan a few weeks ago. I started at her house and drove up HVR to the top. I took all side streets (Muir, Ocean Vista, Sunset, La Cima, HV Lane, etc.) and reported back to Susan where I was. I gave all this information back to Susan. I had my wife stationed on Ocean Vista and we determined how far up all those streets we could communicate, and where there was static. Finally, my wife went to our house at 650 HVR, and we checked to see what we could reach and what we couldn’t. I provided a summary of this information to Susan.

I will not be able to participate this Saturday, Dec 11 due to a prior engagement, but I’d welcome the opportunity to chat with any of you on HVR at a later date. I look forward to hearing/seeing the results of the test this Saturday.