Use of radios

Hi all,
I’m wondering what the protocol is for use of the radios. Specifically, I smelled smoke a few days ago and was wondering if it was the right thing to do to get on the radio and let folks know and ask if anyone had any info on the smoke.
Directions for use of the radio is welcome.
Thanks, John Nadler

Welcome John!
Great question! Yes, jump on your MURS radio “NRG” and share your suspicions with others who are listening. This is a great way to use the MURS radios to inform people in real time.

Also, go to the forum and post something about the smoke to alert others. Keith, Eric, and I will see your post and if necessary, we’ll send an EMERGENCY post that immediately emails to all members of our Micro Communities.

Join us on the 3rd Saturday of each month from 9:00-9:30 am for a MURS radio test and exercise to practice using the radios and to see how far you can reach with your antenna.

For more info about radio instructions and protocol, go to the General section of the forum. Eric put together an excellent video showing how to use the BaoFeng UV-82C and other protocols.

Actually, it is the Equipment section of the forum where I posted the UV-82C getting started guide and video.

And yes, I concur with Susan – feel free to let folks know about your smoke alert on the NRG channel. It’s also a good way to get comfortable with the radio and meet neighbors.

When the fire by the bridge was going on, I did get on the radio and there were others talking about it and I shared what info I had.

This last fire smelled so bad, we were heading home with the livestock trailer and it was really bad at the intersection of Soquel and N. Rodeo Gulch but I could smell it at home too.

I’m sorry I’m going to miss this months radio check as we will be out of town.